POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question about scale & translation : Question about scale & translation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Question about scale & translation
From: Steve Shelby
Date: 2 Aug 2003 09:32:28
Message: <3f2bbd6c@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I am not an advanced user, but I have a question that I think only an
advanced user could answer. I will give a simplified example to make it easy
to visualize. Make a cylinder with a scale of 1, a second cylinder with a
scale of 1.5, a third cylinder scaled 2, a fourth scaled 2.5, and a fifth
scaled 3. I want the cylinders lined up so that the flat faces are together.
Cylinder #2 would be translated 1, cyl. #3 translated 2.5, cyl .#4
translated 4.5, and cyl #5 translated 7. The translation for each object is
equal to the sum of the scales of each object preceding it. This is not
rocket science, easy enough to do. The problem is that I want to make a
scene that uses several hundred objects this way. I can easily use Moray to
make the hundreds of objects, scaled as required, but not translated as
required. Is there a way to make Povray compute the translation numbers
automatically? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Steve Shelby